Janson in The Legal 500 EMEA 2021 rankings
- 15 April 2021
- Janson News
Janson is very pleased to have been recognised once again for Dispute resolution, Intellectual Property and Environment in The Legal 500 EMEA 2021 directory, in which the Insolvency and Restructuring department makes its entry. Dominique Blommaert and Mireille Buydens continue to be ranked as “Leading individuals” in the Belgian legal market while some lawyers are listed as “Key Lawyers” for the first time: Charles Bernard, Emmanuelle Bouillon and Jo Rams.
Please find below the rankings as well as quotes from some of Janson’s clients who are warmly thanked for their continued trust and appreciation.
DISPUTE RESOLUTION - TIER 2
'At Janson, financial litigation, white-collar crime cases, arbitration matters and corporate disputes were prominent in the team's recent workload. Dominique Blommaert is 'an excellent and experienced litigator'; he co-heads the department with Cédric Alter, who is very experienced in arbitration, and white-collar crime expert Céline Masschelein.'
Leading individuals: Dominique Blommaert
Next Generation Partners: Céline Masschelein
- Dominique Blommaert is very pragmatic and able to come to amicable solutions.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY - TIER 2
'Janson's team demonstrates a high level of expertise in IP litigation, as well as negotiating complex licenses (and other IP-related agreements) or planning protection strategies. Its client roster includes well-known brands and other large organisations active in sectors such as engineering, luxury goods, chemicals and automotive. Mireille Buydens is knowledgeable about all facets of patents, trade marks, copyrights and designs. She has a standout reputation in IP litigation, and is an expert on unfair trade practices in the food sector. Buydens jointly leads the practice with Hans Dhondt, whose IP experience dates back more than 20 years. He is leading advice to a group of producers on proceedings arising from the illegal distribution of TV and film productions online.'
Leading individuals: Mireille Buydens
Other key lawyers: Charles Bernard
- Great team
- Mireille Buydens is an exceptional litigator, Charles Bernard is great and Hans Dhondt too
- They are very responsive, write very clear and sound advice and have a high level of expertise. Their strategic thinking in difficult matters is also striking
- The managing partner (Hans Dhondt) for IP is personally involved in the cases they handle, available and has a hands-on mentality, which improves speed of handling, personal connection and quality overall. I have never experienced this level of service with any other IP department in law firms
- Hans Dhondt is a very good hands-on attorney who has a good feel of what clients want. The team is fast and pragmatic and they deliver everything on time
- Very high quality of work against a good price. Value for money
- Hans Dhondt and Mireille Buydens are superb. Hans is very good with his clients and Mireille is super smart
ENVIRONMENT - TIER 3
'At Janson, the public and administrative law practice fields practitioners with 'excellent legal knowledge' of environmental matters. Waste management, permits, soil pollution issues, environmental tax and environmental criminal law are among the team's areas of expertise. Dominique Lagasse is acting for Recupel (alongside other non-profit organisations) before the Constitutional Court in ongoing proceedings over the imposition of taxes in the Flemish and Walloon regions on waste management organisations. Jan Ghysels has particular expertise in expropriations and town and country planning law. Stijn Verbeke has established strength in handling environmental take-back obligations and environmental management agreements, particularly in relation to waste electronic and electrical equipment. Other key names include Geoffrey Ninane and counsel Jo Rams, who 'sets himself apart from his peers by his determination and drive to find legal solutions'.'
Other key lawyers: Jo Rams
INSOLVENCY AND RESTRUCTURING - TIER 3
'Janson assists distressed enterprises, their managers and shareholders in all potential crisis situations, ranging from preventative judicial reorganisations to bankruptcy petition filing and voluntary liquidations. Cédric Alter, recognised by clients as 'a very good insolvency professional', often acts as a court-appointed trustee in various proceedings. He co-heads the practice alongside litigation specialist Dominique Blommaert, who divides his time between the Brussels and Ghent offices, and Emmanuelle Bouillon. The team also has experience in negotiating out-of-court settlements where necessary.'
- Cédric Alter is an excellent lawyer, a very good insolvency professional and a respected individual
For more information, please follow this link: The Legal 500 EMEA 2021