Tess Van Gaal holds a Master’s degree in Public and Administrative Law, with a minor in Criminal Law, from KU Leuven (2018) and an Advanced LL.M. in Public International Law from Leiden University (2019, cum laude).
In the course of her studies, Tess participated in moot court competitions on European Law (public procurement) and International Public Law. In the first competition she was nominated amongst the four best Advocate-Generals. She won the second competition with the team of Leiden University.
Tess was admitted to the Brussels Bar in 2020 and joined Janson the same year. She mainly focuses on public law, administrative law and public procurement. She mostly works in litigation where she advises and defends both governmental institutions and corporations before the courts and tribunals in Belgium.
- Advising and representing the Flemish government (roads and traffic agency) in a procedure introduced in extreme urgency by a tenderer to gain the suspension of the public contract
- Assisting a company in a claim for damages for a (annulled) law imposing a public burden for companies active in real estate
- Assisting the European Commission in a procedure of a tenderer for a claim of damages for a public contract
- Advising and representing the Flemish government (roads and traffic agency) in a procedure introduced by a tenderer to annul a public contract signed with another tenderer
- Advising companies on litigation procedures and alternative solutions
Languages: Dutch, French, English
- 05/2020 - …: Associate - Janson
- 2019 - 2020: Judge for Leiden University in the International Moot Court Competition (ICC), The Netherlands
- 2019 - 2020: Judge, National Moot Court Competition, The Netherlands
- 2018 - 2019: Advanced LL.M. Public International Law, Leiden University, The Netherlands (cum laude)
- 2016 - 2018: Master in Law (Public and Criminal Law), KU Leuven
- 2013 - 2016: Bachelor of Laws, KU Leuven (campus Brussel) - Université Saint-Louis Bruxelles
Awards and honours
- 2018 - 2019: Winner of the International Criminal Court Moot Court Competition, with the team of Leiden University, The Netherlands
- 2017 - 2018: Nominated amongst the four best Advocate-Generals in the European Law Moot Court Competition, Belgium - Scotland
Books and contributions
- Kroniek van Rechtspraak van het Hof van Justitie 2020 inzake overheidsopdrachten, in Jaarboek Overheidsopdrachten 2020-2021 / Chronique des Marchés Publics 2020-2021, Bruxelles, EBP Consulting, 2021 (with K. Wauters, to be published)
- Artikelsgewijze commentaar op de (nieuwe) wetgeving overheidsopdrachten, Wet van 17 juni 2016, TITEL 2 - Overheidsopdrachten in de speciale sectoren, Politeia, Brussel, 12/2020 (Artikelen 18, 22 en 23) (with K. Wauters)
- Artikelsgewijze commentaar op de (nieuwe) wetgeving overheidsopdrachten, Wet van 17 juni 2016, TITEL 3 - Overheidsopdrachten in de speciale sectoren, Politeia, Brussel, 12/ 2020 (Artikelen 97, 102, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124) (with K. Wauters)
- Zonnepanelen in Vlaanderen: compensatie of vergoeding?, R.W., 2020-2021/20 (with J. Ghysels, to be published)