IP, IT and Trade Practices
The Intellectual Property, Information Technology and Trade Practices Department is headed by Mireille Buydens and Hans Dhondt, two leading lawyers in these fields in Belgium.
Clients highly appreciate our team for its resourcefulness, pragmatism and thorough knowledge of the field.
We advise and assist clients in drafting and negotiating IP-related agreements, including license agreements, research and development agreements (R&D), consortium agreements (with a special expertise in EU funded projects), merchandising and sponsoring agreements, non-disclosure agreements (NDAs), technology transfer and liens on intellectual property assets.
Our expertise in the field of litigation is also widely recognized. We assist companies in collecting evidence of infringement of their rights, defend their interest in legal proceedings and help them in obtaining corrective measures. Our team is also highly experienced in arbitration. Our partners are regularly appointed as arbitrators in ICC and CEPANI proceedings.
Lastly, we are also consulted for audits and due diligence in intellectual property, e.g. in connection with an acquisition.
We have extensive expertise in data protection matters and help clients in their GDPR compliance processes.
Clients are also assisted in drafting and negotiating various IT-related agreements (consultancy agreements, software development agreements and license agreements), and in litigation relating to such agreements.
We are also often consulted in media-related conflicts (the right of reply, civil liability of journalists).
Furthermore, we advise clients on matters such as:
- Advertising regulations and protection of consumers
- Unfair market practices, unfair competition and passing off
- Regulations regarding promotional campaigns (e.g. lotteries and gambling activities)
Insight into our clients
Our experience has taught us that it is essential to understand the industries in which our clients operate. Therefore, we have a thorough knowledge of the different sectors (chemical, petrochemical, engineering, food industry, cosmetics, etc.) for which we have worked for more than 25 years.
Experts in our field
We are experts in the fields in which we are active. Our partners regularly publish on IP/IT. Some of them are consulted on a regular basis by the Belgian authorities in the drafting of new legislation in IP.
We advocate for a commercial and pragmatic approach in all matters we deal with. It is our goal to find tailored solutions for our clients' problems. Wherever feasible we propose alternative solutions to legal proceedings (mediation, settlement agreements, joint ventures or licensing contracts).
We are fully aware that in the current economic climate, legal support constitutes a cost that needs to remain manageable. This is why we work at very competitive rates and strive to minimize costs for our clients.
- Representation of a large company in the supply of electrical equipment in a cross-border litigation regarding patent infringement
- Representation of a manufacturer of medical devices in a cross-border litigation regarding trade secrets violation. This was one of the first trade secrets cases to be litigated before the Belgian courts after the entry into force of the trade secrets directive. The case was won before the Court of appeal of Mons
- Representation of a group of European companies and universities in a litigation regarding a H2020 consortium agreement
- Assistance of a U.S. company and its Belgian subsidiary in a patent dispute across Belgium and France. The case was won in France and was settled globally before a Belgian judgment could be delivered
- Representation of a U.S. biotech company in a patent dispute with the Belgian State before the Belgian courts and the Belgian Constitutional Court. The case was won before the Constitutional Court and thereafter before the Belgian courts
- Representation of a Japanese pharmaceutical company in a patent dispute (supplementary protection certificate) against a French company and a research institute
- Representation of a multinational in the food industry in various proceedings concerning the commercialization of look-alikes by retailers
- Assistance for a Belgian publisher (part of a multinational company) in its relations with the copyright holders on comics